The Source: Peru debuts in London
HJ Fantaskis | 04.10.12
For today and tomorrow, London will play host to thirteen hand-picked Peruvian textile manufacturers, who will be showcasing their collections to British buyers and press for the very first time.
Promperu, the Peruvian Commission for the Promotion of Tourism and Exports, has collaborated with the specialised consulting agency, Clothing Connect, to sponsor and organise The Source: Peru, a high profile show-room event at The Future Gallery in Central London.
The Source: Peru is a very interesting sourcing opportunity for buyers for luxury brands and, together, Promperu & Clothing Connect are presenting artisan-made, quality garments made from eco-luxe fibres like baby alpaca, alpaca and pima cotton, for all ages. Organic cotton is also widely used by the brands and manufacturers (perhaps also making Source: Peru the most hypoallergenic-friendly show room event!).
The exhibiting Peruvian entrepreneurs are passionate about their highly skilled work and are able to tell the stories of each and every garment they will showcasing in their collection. The majority of the garments are hand-woven or hand-knitted made with yarns which are hand spun in small communities - and Texsturas is a good example of this manufacturing practise.
Working with these incredibly skilled artisans has provided vital revenue for the smaller, more remote communities in Peru. It has also had a direct, positive influence on social and environmental awareness in these communities - in particular, brands like, Royal Knit.
Related Postsblog comments powered by Disqus
- Clean Energy
- Eco Commmunities
- Eco Heroes
- Eco Media
- Ethical Finance
- Green Living
- Green Technology & Design
- Guest Bloggers
- Morning News
- Social Media
- Weekly Greenhouse Updates
- The Power of Just Doing Stuff – How Local Action Can Change the World
- Five fantastic Father’s Day gifts
- Feeding 5k and the Pig Idea - let them eat waste!
- Morning News - Monday 3rd June 2013
- Eco Hero: Clare Hierons, CEO of Carbon Leapfrog
- Morning News - Tuesday 28th May 2013
- Morning News - Friday 24th May 2013
- Morning News - Tuesday 21st May 2013
- Morning News - Monday 20th May 2013
- Morning News - Friday 17th May 2013
- Morning News - Tuesday 14th May 2013
- Morning News - Monday 13th May 2013
- Anna Shepard
- The Sustainable Business Lab
- The Soil Association
- Adam Vaughan
- Business Green
- Dot Earth
- Environment 360
- Environmental Graffiti
- George Monbiot
- Green Futures
- Green Inc.
- Green Thing
- Guardian Environment
- Huffington Post Green
- Jonathon Porritt
- Julia Hailes
- La Tierra
- Mother Nature Network
- Recycle This
- The Alternative Consumer
- The Daily Green
- The Oil Drum
- Transition Culture
- Zero Carbonista